[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and iron

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Wed Aug 22 10:52:27 PDT 2001

   Please forgive the bandwidth!

   I forwarded Selene's comment about vinegar and iron as a leather dye
to the SCA Natural dyes list.  I think the person who responded thought
it was Selene posting, so I am forwarding her reply here.

   Elizabeth
From: "Lila Richards" <lila at ihug.co.nz>
To: <SCA_NaturalDyes at yahoogroups.com>

Hi Selene.

I also use a little bit of vinegar in the water, with some iron - old
rusty
nails, because my son Guy (remember that little Southron Gaard boy in
Tudor
from way back?) helpfully acquired a large jar of them! - to make iron
water
for saddening dye colours.

Sinech
(Lila Richards)

An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
(The Truth against the world - Druid maxim)