[Sca-cooks] Showmanship-was:Pennsic Iron Chef Results

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 07:44:39 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/27/01 9:13:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com writes:

<< I'm sure some Abbott got into a bragging match with another over whose cook
 was the best?  I find it hard to believe that cooking competitions aren't
 "period".
 Wrynne

I remember reading somewhere a lo-n-g time ago that food was a way to show
off one's wealth. Obviously, I would think, that the better chefs were used
to show off their talents to impress other nobility who were visiting. So
yeah, someone would probably  say "See what a grand cook I have! I'll bet
your cooks and scullery maids couldn't do half this well." Sorry to be making
suppositions, but human nature is definitely into one-ups-manship.

Finnebhir.