[Sca-cooks] Re: Apprenticing again

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:56:14 PDT 2001

Dear Muiredach:

I'm an SCA culinary apprentice, and from what you mention about your
training, you've got the nuts and bolts stuff down. You know how to plan and
execute large meals, proper sanitation techniques, what a given foodstuff
will do under certain conditions, all that.  You won't have to relearn all
that.  I don't have that knowledge base, and oh do I wish I did.

In my experience, the way to get recognized for cooking in the SCA is to
cook. Find good recipes, do research, cook meals.  Luncheons, feasts both
major and minor, whatever.  Get in the kitchen and do what you do best.  The
big thing is going to be the book learnin', the research to find recipes
suitable for whatever feast you're planning.  It can be a pain in the
kiester, but it can also be a lot of fun.  The good folks here can help.

You can apprentice to someone who is not a cooking Laurel (mine does pottery
and glassblowing).  That person's job is to teach you how to be a Peer and
to brag about all the cool stuff you do to the other Peers.

My advice would be to not worry about apprenticing or gaining "recognition".
  Do what you do best, have fun with it, learn from whoever will teach you,
and it will all come.

At least, that's been my experience.

Vicente

It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange.
-Takeshi Kaga