[Sca-cooks] my 2 cents worth,

welsh10thcent at tds.net welsh10thcent at tds.net
Tue Aug 28 11:19:08 PDT 2001

I have been reading the digests everyone, i am amazed at the wonderful information that i am getting and the help i have recieved, and i am a bit disturbed as well, a few of the comments have gotten a bit flamey.  Not much offends me but i assummed that this list was for fun, information, and good conversation.  I am hoping that i am right because for the most part it is all those, oh and some of you are much to funny oh my some of the things i get a very good laugh, usually the little side notes ie, on one "Save the Whales, Collect a whole set" okay so i am twisted.

anyway, i want to thank everyone for your wonderful banter and expressiveness.  It is good and helpful.  I am very new to the SCA experience, and am a chef by trade, so learning the historical stuff OY lets just say it is a joy but a challenge, and i do love a good challenge.

Okay now for my 2 cents worth.  As i understand it, the cooking contest thing, during that time usually one household would challenge another into some form of contest to see whos cook or gardener or such was best, but it was just for bragging right, mind you no doucumentation, but it has been stated, anyway, i think whoever said that if it makes people want to learn it then good go for it, i second that, I think that in our world of discard anything and everything and busy and rushed lives that in those days they didnt have an easy life or the free time or luxuries we take for granted.  I think a cooking contest with several levels say one for novices, well learned, apprenticed, and masters would be fun and entertaining and we could all learn alot, would love to go to pennsic next year but that is a ways away, who knows, to early to tell

Now as for the discussion, about the not attending the funeral to do the feast.  Well, if i was committed to doing the feast and i knew that things were not inline for someone to be able to walk in and take over for me, i would have stayed and done the feast as well.  Granted this is a game of sorts and mundane comes first, but you know what, it is this game that lets me keep my sanity.  Granted not much of it there isnt much left but that is a side story.  When i commit to something weither it is work, SCA, family, friends or what have you, that is a committment and i take that very seriously, game or not, if i say i will do it i am there, i have not gone to several funerals because i had other things to do, i make a phone call and send flowers and a card and they know how i feel. the person who has passed, they dont care if your there or not, they are having a wonderful time on the other side.

Capers, just one thing about them, YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Loaf of Sugar,  Can you even buy that anymore, it has been years since i seen that.

Shoofly PIE, now that is a classic and is wonderful.  I just made one not long ago, but being diabetic, well i only made a small one and it lasted well not as long as it should have :)

Cookie exchange, i think it would be fun, but logisticly well i think it would be a bit hard, since i am somewhere in teh middle and dont want to ship cookies a hundred different directions but then again, it would be fun to send and receive not only the cookies but the recipes too

Okay now that i have put my 2 cents worth i just thought that i would say thank you for all your information.

Oh and i do hope when i am ready to formulate my first feast you all are as helpful as you where with this 13thcent feast that has been on boards lately, wow, it has been incredible to watch the progress.  look forward to hearing how it all comes out.

Thanks for taking a minute to read my drivel.

In Service
Morvran ab Thomas of Cardiff
Barony of Sternfeld
mka Jim