[Sca-cooks] 13th century thick skinned Iron Chef results

Richard Kappler rkappler at home.com
Wed Aug 29 05:34:32 PDT 2001

Master Adamantius spake:

> If you are referring to pointing out the possibility that someone may
> have made a bad call, yes, by all means. One of the great things about
> this list is that we are all human, we all make mistakes, and we deal
> very nicely with each other as equals with virtually no pretense or
> patronization.

Well....yeah!  Generally speaking, that's very true.  It must be, the list
members haven't lynched ME yet.  Allow me to illustrate my point.  My
introduction to the SCA was the Cooks list.  No S&(*, there I was....
Shortly after the beginning.  During the fabled "Great Cuskynole Debate."
Talk about first impressions!!!!  And yet, regardless of the stupid
questions I ask, regardless of the horrendous arguements Ras and I
occasionally find ourselves in, regardless of my occasional disappearance to
go off and chase some skirt or another (all pre-Cute Little Red Haired Girl
mind you ;-), regardless of all the dumb stuff I've done, I still find
welcome here.  Really smart people talk to me.  Of course, the fact that
they talk to me because they don't have a Big Yellow Dog of their own is of
no consequence.  Sometimes the debates get heated.  Sometimes someone will
be having a bad day and respond without the recommended daily allowance of
caffiene or, even worse, bourbon.  Yet I cannot recall a single time in all
the posts that Papa has had to grit his teeth through that a statement was
made that ought not be and went unchallenged by the scions of the list.

Allow me to give yet another example;  Hypothetically speaking, we could be
having a discussion on 13th century feasts.  Someone of note, oh...I
dunno...maybe even His Grace... might point out that there is a pretty good
resource in a Speculum article of yore.  Others might even, hypothetically
speaking mind you, recall a time when a certain recreational miscreant might
have found a copy of said article and offered to share it with others.  But
then, just when he thought he was doing something good, his computer
confounded him.  And maybe there was a hurricane.... and quite possibly even
an earthquake in conjunction with a swarm of locusts....  And you never
know, hypothetically speaking of course, there may even have been a change
in government!!!!  And then, woe unto our subject, there might even have
been {gasp} a Cute Little Red Haired Girl that could bat her eyes at him
just so, and make him forget all his worldly responsibilities... Granted, it
all sounds very far fetched, but it could happen.... well, I guess it could
if you had a really good imagination.  Why, the folk on this list are so
forgiving and without pretense or patronization that, if he said "I can't
get the file into a format I can e-mail, send me your snail mail address
privately and I'll mail you a copy." some months later, everybody might just
smile, chuckle a bit as toward a wayward but well meaning young imp and
still like him at least a little bit.  Or maybe tolerate him a little while
longer.  Of course, if not he could always just hide behind the big Fred
Flintstone lookin' guy with the funny eyebrows until it all blew over...

But its really a pretty good list...

> Okay, sometimes _I_ sound a little pompous, but that's
> 'cause I'm kewl, and also because I haven't yet recovered from learning
> to communicate in Catholic school..

As his apprentice, I can testafy that he is rarely pompous, occasionally
kewl and almost always catholic.

> I've always been treated with the greatest respect on this list,

<snicker> they know you have two Big Yellow Dogs and a village idiot behind
you Master.... LMAO

> probably more so than I deserve,

well.....

> but I don't think anybody is too shy
> about disagreeing with me and saying so.

on the cooks list?  Puhlease!  Though I AM generally shy.

> Phil & Susan Troy

regards, Puck
who really doesn't understand the 'pointed ears and red dacron pants'
comment, but then again, really doesn't need to in order to be content in a
world where there are Fred Flintstone looking characters, Big Yellow Dogs,
Cute Little Red Haired Girls and deaf two year olds who all manage to find
some redeeming qualities in him despite himself....