[Sca-cooks] Period German Recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 30 13:00:17 PDT 2001

This post is on topic! O-muh-gawd!

I've been out of the loop for around 3 weeks - i thought i was going
to Europe, but now i'm not. I'm camping at a friend's house until i
find an apartment, so i won't be reading e-mail as often as before...

Now for my questions:
I'm doing our Boar Hunt again this year. I've decided to try to do
German food, but, alas, i read only a little Modern German and am not
too familiar with Medieval/Renaissance German. I've scanned through
Thomas Gloning's website, but unfortunately can't read the recipes.

I'm trying to limit the amount of food i cook to reduce tossing out
leftovers - no one seems to eat the starches - most other stuff gets
taken home by feasters.

Bread will be served with the meal, but i'm not going to do our usual
"cheeses on the table" thing. Last year folks filled up on cheese,
bread, sausage, and compost and could hardly eat the second course,
so i had to throw away some vegetables and some of the pears in crust.

Right now my plan is:

--- First Course
pork - brawn? tartes? (meat balls would be too hard to make)
chicken - with fruit is good - i found a German one with quinces on the web
mushrooms
root vegetables
a starch

--- Entremets
a few simple sweet and savory dishes - possibly something "cookie"
like, a tart, and some savory snacky thing

--- Second Course
roast pork legs (traditional) - we just stuff lots of garlic under
the skin and roast, so i don't need a recipe
sauces - i am looking for several of these
cabbage - i need a recipe
another vegetable?
gingered apples (traditional) - no recipe, just cook apples with
sugar and ginger

--- Finale
Boar's Head Sotiltie - made of medieval cake and covered with marzipan

Of course, not being terribly familiar with Medieval/Renaissance
German cuisine, i may be overlooking somethign wonderful and
interesting. I'm not locked into the above (except i have to do the
roast pork, the gingered apples, a cabbage dish and a mushroom dish)

Oh, and i want a sallat in there somewhere - the roast pork has to be
in the second course, but other than that, things are mutable.

Last year's menu and recipes are on my website, if anyone wants an
idea of what i did at the previous feast.
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/menu.html

Thanks for any help,

Anahita / Subaytila