[Sca-cooks] Fw: [MR] Red saffron source

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 2 06:14:54 PDT 2001

ruadh wrote:

> well, cooks;  Dave gave me his permission to share 'his' message. Please
> respond directly to him. if anyone tries, let us know the results. I
> personally don't have a 'need' to use saffron in my cooking or dyeing.
> Merry Rose ["MR"] is the kingdom newsletter for Atlantia. Ru

Hey there...

Please forward as needed. I've cc'd David W.

My own experience is that I am still trying to think of ways to use the
kilo of safflower stamens that a kind, well-meaning friend picked up for
me in Turkey. I haven't been able to bring myself to tell my friend he
got a deal that was too good to be true, so much of my saffron-related
cookery involves me spiking a large pinch of the safflower with a
smaller pinch of real saffron (woo hoo, I'm an adulterer!).

Anyway, just on the off-chance that suspiciously inexpensive saffron is
in fact safflower (which does indeed grow in Turkey, also: I know in
Lebanon it is called osfor; dunno what it might be called in Turkey),
one should be careful of this because, while safflower can be used for
coloring rice, etc., it is the pollen that does most of the work, and
seems to be largely exclusive to real saffron. Rice (or whatever)
colored with safflower (which, BTW, is sometimes called Mexican saffron
or azafran, which is confusing since actual saffron is also called
azafran in Mexico) tends to produce a very pale yellow to white rice
with reddish threads in it. It is like red sandalwood; you need a fair
amount very finely ground to get an effect.

Hope this helps. And, of course, I may be wrong and this may be real
saffron. I just doubt it a little.

Adamantius, who buys a one-ounce tin in the Indian grocery for about 22
bucks once a year or so