[Sca-cooks] Re: Cookbook?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 2 06:33:27 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

Another source that no one has mentioned is to take
a look in the children's section. Aliki's Medieval Feast
is available in paperback. There are a number of others
including several by the the publisher D.K. that have
various photo's of recreated scenes.

Also for the art books, talk to your local librarian
about what they have in their art section. Academic
art libraries or museum libraries are another source
that might let you come and make notes of useful titles.
Art books are very expensive due to the use of color,
and while you might find what you need in terms of pictures
you might not have enough money left to continue your
hobby.

There are two relatively new books from England that might
prove useful Eat Drink and Be Merry. The British at Table
1600-2000 edited by Ivan Day and Peter Brears' All The King's
Cooks The Tudor Kitchens of Henry VIII at Hampton Court
Palace. But both are relatively expensive. One paperback
that is available with lots of art is Cosman's Fabulous
Feasts which can be used for the pictures. No one likes
her recipe adaptations, but the pictures could provide you
with at least medieval era inspiration.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway