[Sca-cooks] Re: Cookbook?

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 2 06:29:42 PDT 2001

Renee wrote:
>I recreate miniature food from cl=
>ays & resins (such as in a dollhouse or castle / 1" scale) and have
had req=
>uests for medevial and tutor food. (I really like the illusion food
too!) I=
> need a cookbook with REALLY good pictures to go by. Any help or
suggestion=
>s will be greatly appreciated

You might try some of the books with collections of art/paintings.
I've found several on sale at places like Borders.  The "better"
ones are of Dutch still lifes.  They show prepared foods as wells as
pastries, sweets, and fresh produce.  If you have an art museum in
the area try looking in their gift shop for specific names.  A good
one is _Still Life_ by Norbert Schneider and the publisher I have is
Taschen.  I've seen this, however, in two different forms (hard- and
soft-cover) and IIRC, the title was different, but the work was the
same.  I have another large book from the exhibition of Dutch still
lifes that came through the area a few years ago.  I think a still
life book would be your best bet and you should look for Schneider's
to see if that is what you are after.

There is also _Renaissance Recipes_ by Gillian Riley, although many
of the pictures aren't of food but of people.  Ditto for Reay
Tannahill's _The Fine Art of Food_.

Alys Katharine