[Sca-cooks] To Cook a 'Coon

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 2 18:20:30 PDT 2001

Johnnae sends greetings.

Now I want you all to know that no less an authority
than Sports Afield Magazine in their compilation
of 110 years of recipes entitled EAT LIKE A WILD MAN
The Ultimate Game and Fish Cookbook says that you cook
a raccoon by parboiling it with onions, carrots, celery,
cloves and bay leaves. When meat is tender then you take
it out, scrape the fat off and then roast it uncovered
with apples at low heat until done. For oppossum, you
let it hang for a day or two in a cold place, then you
parboil it. Stuff it with stuffing mix and then finish it
by baking. serve with horseradish.

You can get the book at Cabella's.

Johnna