[Sca-cooks] To Cook a 'Coon

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 3 06:08:16 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

But see that's the point. Most librarians
and most libraries do not collect cookbooks.
When they do buy, they then do lousy things like
throw away the earlier editions, so then food
historians can't do retrospective studies on
subjects like the use of jello over the past
century or when one edition of Betty Crocker
changed to packaged food with the next volume.
For as many titles available as there are in
cookery, there is also a scarcity of reviews in
what are judged to be the proper journals. These
are the ones that libraries use to make and
justify acquisitions decisions. No reviews can
mean no purchase. And if the local collection
is lousy, then people don't use it and justifies
not spending money on a part of the collection
that people don't use. So I instead promote
cookbooks and have told my colleagues for
years to buy cookbooks and keep cookbooks.

As to game cookery, I would argue that based
on the part of the country where you are located
that having a good collection of game and fish
cookery books would be serving part of your local
tax paying patrons. If those patrons hunt and fish,
then there ought to be good cookbooks on game and
fish cookery in the library.

As to a theory of game cookery, I rather thought
the most basic theory was it crossed our path, we
was hungry so we killed and cooked it. Take a look
at the Foxfire books and also Smokehouse Ham, Spoon
Bread, & Scuppernong Wine by Joseph Dabney. The latter
volume talks about Southern Appalachian cookery and
includes things like squirrel dumplings. It won
several awards and is more along the lines of
American history, so maybe your library can be
shamed into buying it, if they don't have it.

Sincerely,

Johnna Holloway