[Sca-cooks] A Pennsic Shopping List?

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Aug 4 11:23:07 PDT 2001

Was written:

>    I am leaving for Pennsic on the 9th & I want to go armed with a
shopping
>list of cook books!  What I need are the basic beginner already redacted
>type cook books on period cookery.  So far on my list I have: The new &
>improved set of "Take A Thousand Eggs or More"  & the "Miscalanie".  Any
>suggestions?

A quick rummage through the book case suggests at the following will meet
your stated requirements:

Early French Cookery
The Medieval Kitchen
An Ordinance of Pottage
Pepys at Table (late, very late, and arguably just of of period)
Sallets Humbles & Shrewsberry Cakes
To the King's Taste
To the Queen's Taste
In a Caliph's Kitchen
A Taste of Ancient Rome
The Roman Cookery of Apicius (Edward)
Plane (sic) Delight

Wild card to fill out the dozen

Larousse Gastronomique, no it is not a period cookbook, just a very good
source for "ground truthing" recipes against what does work.  Don't pay full
price for the latest edition look for one from the 60's or 70's.  You should
be able to get it at $10.00 or less rather than $75.00 or more.

Daniel Raoul