[Sca-cooks] Re:Larousse

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Aug 5 08:08:17 PDT 2001

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> Indeed my lady I've been meaning to take a look at the Oxford.  I suggested
> Larousse because it has such an encyclopedic approach to food and its
> preparation and second hand older editions are so cheap.  I use it to check
> a redaction against a modern standard for the same foods.   I didn't realize
> that its forays into food history were so flawed.  Francocentric and
> Anglophobic I recognized as a given, ...presumedly its remarks about Henry
> VIII and "Sir Loin" and the "Baron of Beef" in the 1961 copy I own are to be
> taken with a grain of salt. :-P

I'd have to say that Larousse's greatest weaknesses show through when
they discuss things like Asian cuisines, but in general, they are
clearly at their most reliable where French cooking is concerned.

On the other hand, they're no more Francocentric (and often misguidedly
so in both cases) than Madeleine Toussaint-Samat.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com