[Sca-cooks] Re: Noodles/Pasta - LONG (Charles Perry)

Sandragood at aol.com Sandragood at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 17:22:22 PDT 2001

Adamantius writes:

> I can recall shushbarrak, which is a meat-filled
> pasta dish, and then there's another whose name I forget (tutmaj?) which
> calls for slices to be cut off a roll of dough, and then struck like a
> coin with the thumb. These last seem to be sauced with yogurt and mint,
> IIRC, and the shushbarrak are alive and well, and virtually unchanged,
> in modern-day North Africa.

Thank you for adding about the ravioli style pasta.  I left it out because I
was so long winded in my previous post.  I admire those of you that can spout
information from the top of your head.  I have only just begun my research so
have not yet memorized the names and pages of these dishes.  Many of my
friends that have a copy of the book can do just that.  I have to refer to
the actual book.  :-)

For clarification though, salma is the noodle that is struck like a coin.
Tutmaj is a noodle that is rolled out and cut.  They are both served with a
yogurt, mint and garlic sauce and are both served with fried meats.  The only
other difference in the two is salma mentions onions also.

Shushbarak is a tutmaj dough stuffed with meat and served in a yogurt sauce.

Rishta is more like a beef soup with noodles.

It is important to note also that rishta is a dried noodle whereas salma and
tutmaj are both a fresh noodle.

Elizabeth Donnan