[Sca-cooks] OOP--Pickles and Potatoes

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 06:05:16 PDT 2001

On 7 Aug 2001, at 0:55, Varju at aol.com wrote:

> First question: what exactly makes kosher dill pickles kosher?  I
> can't tell from any of the recipes I have, and I would like to know
> since I plan on giving some of the pickles I've made as gifts.

(Disclaimer: I'm Jewish, but not very observant)

"Kosher" has two meanings.  One is "kosher-style", ie., traditional
Jewish food.  In the U.S., that usually means German/East
European Jewish.  So a recipe for "kosher dill pickles" is basically
a traditional Jewish recipe.

Kosher also means food which is lawful for Jews to eat, according
to the dietary laws of the Torah.  (No pork, no mixing meat and
dairy, and the permitted animals have to be slaughtered in a certain
way.)  All fruits and vegetables are inherently kosher, so in one
sense, all pickles are kosher.  Many orthodox Jews will only eat
prepared foods if it comes with a kosher certification, or is made by
someone who keeps the laws of kashruth.  Their concern is that
the "kosher" pickles might have been prepared with utensils that
had been used for non-kosher foods.  That would render the pickles
non-kosher.

That being said, you should not hesitate to offer the pickles as
gifts.  Any Jewish friends you have will know that you are not
Jewish, and they will respond according to their own level of
observance.  (I'd be *delighted* to take some pickles off your
hands).  If you want to cover all your bases, label the pickles
"kosher-style".  Then everyone who cares will understand that you
made the pickles according to a traditional recipe, but that you are
not making any guarantees about kashruth.

HTH

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net