[Sca-cooks] Lutheran Binder

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Aug 10 08:23:17 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> "Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy" wrote:
> >
> > Mem Morman wrote:
> >
> > > Casserole?  What's a casserole?  Is that one of those mede-evil terms?
> > > Lutherans make hotdish.
> > >
> > > elaina
> >
> > Please realize I'm not just questioning this out of hand, but would you
> > say the term "hotdish" is more characteristic of the MidWest, of
> > Lutherans, or specifically of MidWestern Lutherans? (Yes, I know you
> > don't live in the MidWest, but Garrison Keillor does, more or less.)
> >
> > I ask because we have a fair number of Lutherans around here on the East
> > Coast, but I've never heard the term used except on this list.
>
> AFAIK, it's a Dakota/Minnesota/Iowa thing. And not limited to Lutherans-
> the cafeteria ladies use it too.
>
> 'Lainie

I think it's a Scandahoovian thing that spread. And yes, it's
Dakotas/MN/IA. I have never heard the term used in Wisconsin, or in
Illinois, although the Quad Cities probably have some crossover. The
cafeteria manager here calls it casserole, but he's not a native, AFAIK.

Tuna noodle casserole (with peas, and crushed potato chips on
top) is a staple of my childhood (although you have to add the
tuna last, and save some out first for Mom). Tater-tot hotdish is just
scary.

FWIW, I alternate between "soda" and "pop" and "soda pop", but I have
never used "Coke" as a generic like my PA relations do. ;-)

Minnesota is an interesting place, foodwise. Practically every restaurant
you go to, regardless of cuisine, has walleye on the menu. Then there are
the fried cheese curds...

Margaret FitzWilliam