[Sca-cooks] Lutheran Binder

Linda M. Kalb lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 10 08:46:44 PDT 2001

My mother (raised Lutheran in South Dakota, moved to East Coast as an
adult) is familiar with the term hotdish as in casserole or any hot dish
you'd bring to a picnic or potluck.  Doesn't think it's necessarily one
word though.  One of my two least favorite dishes from childhood is her
tuna noodle casserole (the other is ham), though everyone else in the
family loved it.  My mother makes tuna noodle casserole with peas but
without crushed potato chips, though she is familiar with others doing it
that way.

[snip]

>I think it's a Scandahoovian thing that spread. And yes, it's
>Dakotas/MN/IA. I have never heard the term used in Wisconsin, or in
>Illinois, although the Quad Cities probably have some crossover. The
>cafeteria manager here calls it casserole, but he's not a native, AFAIK.
>
>Tuna noodle casserole (with peas, and crushed potato chips on
>top) is a staple of my childhood (although you have to add the
>tuna last, and save some out first for Mom). Tater-tot hotdish is just
>scary.
>
>FWIW, I alternate between "soda" and "pop" and "soda pop", but I have
>never used "Coke" as a generic like my PA relations do. ;-)

Me neither (though I live in PA)!   The horror!

Inga/Linda