[Sca-cooks] Walleye

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Aug 10 13:23:36 PDT 2001

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy wrote:

> "Pixel, Queen of Cats" wrote:
>
> > Didn't say there was a problem with it, merely making the
> > observation. Walleye is a good thing. This state, however, is obsessed
> > with it. They have a walleye fishing magazine. [shakes head]
>
> I dunno, that doesn't sound so odd. There are a bazillion magazines
> devoted to bass fishing, which to most Americans means largemouth bass,
> which aren't difficult to catch at all. Waleye, on the other hand, for a
> sport angler, at least, poses a bit of a challenge.

I will allow as to their big sharp teeth, at least.

> > However, wild rice can be obtained for cheap here (well, cheap-*er*,
> > anyway), and really excellent sweet corn.
>
> I'm sure everybody's local sweet corn is better than eveybody else's
> sweet corn, and we do grow sweet corn here in New York, but we also have
> cheap wild rice, if you know where to buy it, for the same reasons it
> can be bought cheaply in Minnesota.

It's not Silver Queen, but local, just-picked sweet corn is always better
than sweet corn shipped up from Florida in refrigerated trucks. ;-)

NY and MN are similar agricultural, except that MN is colder and thus no
peaches or cherries. But we have Haralson and Honeycrisp apples.

> > And gefilte fish on a stick.
> >
> > [Ok, only at the state fair.]
>
> Not so surprising, actually, especially when you consider that a lot of
> commercial gefilte fish is made from... you guessed it... walleye.
> Although they generally call it yellow pike. (For those not up on this
> terminology, a walleye is a relative of the yellow perch, a larger,
> meaner, cold-and-deepwater cousin. And, they're walleyed. Well, sort of
> bug-eyed, with a slight cataract on each eye, or at least that's how
> they look. On the plus side, they have an extremely firm, white, sweet
> meat, and are best prepared in the form of fillets or pieces thereof,
> since they need to be skinned before cooking.

The gefilte fish is surprising mostly because the Jewish population is
fairly small (and, I think, about to be overtaken by the Hmong
population) and probably 95% of the people who attend the state fair
haven't the faintest clue what it is.

I'm not sure what it says, that the state's top three game fish all have
big sharp teeth. [that would be the muskellunge, northern pike, and our
friend the walleyed perch.]

Margaret FitzWilliam