[Sca-cooks] online glossary/profiterole?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Aug 12 20:32:18 PDT 2001

Johnnae llyn Lewis sends greetings.

Regarding profiterole as a term, I am wondering if it meant then what it
means now.

OED cites Cotgrave describing  "pourfiterolle `a cake baked vnder hot
imbers",
and profiterolle, the latter also explained (in pl.) as `the small
vayles, as
 drinking money, points, pinnes, &c., gotten by a valet or groome in his
maisters
 seruice'. The etymological sense is thus `small gains'; ]

a. Some kind of cooked food: see etym. and quots. 1515, 1727.
b. Now spec. a small hollow case of choux pastry usu. filled with
 cream and served with chocolate sauce.
The quotations are:
     1515 Barclay Egloges iv. (1570) C iv b/2 To toste white sheuers
 and to make prophitroles And after talking oft time to fill the bowles.

     1727 Bradley Fam. Dict. s.v. Carp, They likewise make a
 pottage of profitrolles with Carp flesh minced.

Was it just a small cake prior to the modern use of a small cream puff?

Johnna