[Sca-cooks] pot luck

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 13 13:09:21 PDT 2001

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Funnily enough, I've been going to the Nathan's in Valencia and picking up
> several pounds of hot dogs for the summer BBQ circuit. [OK, I got Jared to do
> it for me.  Whatever.] There's a Nathan's in Los Angeles proper now, on Pico
> near Doheny, which I have not yet visited but my parents say is the only
> Kosher Nathan's in the country.  That's the neighborhood that would support
> such a thing too.  It seems to be run =very= Orthodox, which means that the
> kids behind the counter didn't exactly grow up working for McDonald's and are
> therefore a little slower than one would expect.  My Brooklyn-raised Dad says
> the hot dogs are perfect, but the fries are greasy where they should be crisp.

Real Nathan's hot dogs are perhaps the single greatest fast food on the
planet, bearing in mind that they've changed somewhat over the years.
Within the past ten years or so, I actually had lunch at the original
Nathan's restaurant (NOT the stand, the actual sit-down restaurant, with
the elderly, obnoxious waiters and the kitchen shared with the
stand...). Menu items included, in addition to hot dogs, hamburgers and
good fries (made from a slightly sweet AP potato, sort of waffle cut),
both French Fried frogs' legs _and_ the elusive Chow Mein Sandwich. It
was presumably its appeal that was elusive, but this latter item was,
within my lifetime, also a standby of the menu at Woolworth's lunch
counters.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy