[Sca-cooks] pot luck

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 13 12:54:00 PDT 2001

> > >I gotcha covered, I'll bring the mandatory Mormon Green Jello dish with
> > >marshmallows in it.

My mother's green Jello salad has shredded cabbage, chopped apples and
walnuts, sort of a Waldorf a'la Jello almost.  We've dropped the walnuts in
recent years for her diets and my walnut allergy.

> I'd long been concerned about the fact that New York City seems to have
> no single, particular traditional, potluck-type food, possibly because
> so many of its people are immigrants either from other countries or from
> other American regions. You'd be as likely to have a New Yorker bring
> arroz con gandules or baba ganoujh as anything else.

Funnily enough, I've been going to the Nathan's in Valencia and picking up
several pounds of hot dogs for the summer BBQ circuit. [OK, I got Jared to do
it for me.  Whatever.] There's a Nathan's in Los Angeles proper now, on Pico
near Doheny, which I have not yet visited but my parents say is the only
Kosher Nathan's in the country.  That's the neighborhood that would support
such a thing too.  It seems to be run =very= Orthodox, which means that the
kids behind the counter didn't exactly grow up working for McDonald's and are
therefore a little slower than one would expect.  My Brooklyn-raised Dad says
the hot dogs are perfect, but the fries are greasy where they should be crisp.

>I wanna serve Cheeze Whiz Nachos at my next feast; can anybody document
them?

I'll bop you with this here lollipop.

Selene, Caid