[Sca-cooks] pot luck

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 13 17:08:52 PDT 2001

"Take brede, and frye it in grece, draw it up with
brothe and vinegre; caste ther-to poudre piper, and
salt, sette on the fire, boile it, and melle it forth."

Ashmole Ms 1439

Is this the one?

Johnna Holloway

"Philip W. Troy  wrote:

> With regard to the black pepper sauce, I worked from memory of a recipe
> I now, of course, cannot find. Basically it was a pevorade variant, made
> with freshly ground black pepper, dark toast softened in vinegar, and
> enough sapa (a reduced must syrup, like the Roman must reductions such
> as caroenum and defrutum) in lieu of fresh must, to thin to the proper
> consistency. I also added a little salt and some cinnamon, significantly
> less than the pepper.
>
> It seemed to vork pretty well with the veal, although it was probably a
> bit harsh for most people's taste when it was very fresh; by the time it
> was served, though, it had mellowed some. Offhand, does anybody remember
> this from any period source?
>
> I wanna serve Cheeze Whiz Nachos at my next feast; can anybody document
> them?

We actually had doritos and M&M's served one year at a feast (Festival
of Maidens)
back in the early 80's. This had to do with one of the continuing Barony
jokes
about what should and shouldn't be served at a feast. It was along the
lines of
"If I become king, I'll make M&M's ok..." and "No belly dancers over 95
pounds."

It was a different time and place.

Johnna