[Sca-cooks] pot luck

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 13 11:36:57 PDT 2001

afmurphy at juno.com wrote:

> Or sesame noodles...

Truetruetrue. I actually almost brought sesame noodles, but discovered
veal breast on sale on Thursday. Saturday morning I threw together the
sauce, but more about that later. I had intended a tonnato kind of
thing, but just didn't feel like it when the time came.

> I've lived here all my life, and you never know what will turn up! I
> always thought that was the point of potluck. This way there are rarely
> duplicates, there will always be something for every taste. Why would you
> want to have one mandatory dish?

Well, you wouldn't, not really. It just occurred to me that most places
have something that you're _bound_ to find on such occasions, which will
vary from place to place, but we don't seem to have such a thing.

> I did grow up with jello molds called salads, but they were at an aunt's
> in New Jersey. I never thought them terribly edible.
>
> Hello, all! I met Adamantius this weekend.

Yes, it's true, I'm real! Besides, we met at the A&S event in An
Dubhaigeainn! But then I had a lot more people to annoy, so I expect the
experience was somewhat more dilute.

> The veal was delicious, I'd
> love to see it catch on! And I was so inspired I joined this list.

Welcome, Anne! This is a good place to start; it's a good place to begin
looking for materials for some fairly hard research, but when you want
to talk about Twinkies (technically only legal when Pennsic is going on
and list population drops dramatically), we're here.

With regard to the black pepper sauce, I worked from memory of a recipe
I now, of course, cannot find. Basically it was a pevorade variant, made
with freshly ground black pepper, dark toast softened in vinegar, and
enough sapa (a reduced must syrup, like the Roman must reductions such
as caroenum and defrutum) in lieu of fresh must, to thin to the proper
consistency. I also added a little salt and some cinnamon, significantly
less than the pepper.

It seemed to vork pretty well with the veal, although it was probably a
bit harsh for most people's taste when it was very fresh; by the time it
was served, though, it had mellowed some. Offhand, does anybody remember
this from any period source?

I wanna serve Cheeze Whiz Nachos at my next feast; can anybody document
them?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy