[Sca-cooks] Re: Shepherd's Pies

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 13 21:11:02 PDT 2001

Bethra Spicewell wrote:

>   On topic tho -- IS there any evidence for casserole type dishes in
> (European) period ? The only ones I've found that come close are some
> of the Middle Eastern stuff.
>   Always looking for new ways to surprise friends and relitives with
> "ancient" food

Do not adjust your sets. I'm replying to this a second time, because I
just remembered that Kenelm Digby's Savory Toasted Cheese recipe (1669
CE and post-period) contains optional instructions to brown the cheese
goo, which may or may not be mixed with boiled vegetables such as
asparagus (you're supposed to use fresh butter _or_ the leftover butter
from boiled, buttered vegetables such as sparrowgrass, as well as any
leftover sparrowgrass that may be lying around).

So, in theory, this could be interpreted as a gratin of asparagus (or
other vegetable), butter and cheese. No, broccoli or green beans are
almost certainly not what Digby intended, fellow Easterner. ;  )

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com