[Sca-cooks] regional potluck

Jennifer Thompson JenniferT at ptb.com
Tue Aug 14 07:37:57 PDT 2001

> It just occurred to me that most places
> have something that you're _bound_ to find on such occasions,
> which will vary from place to place...
>
> Adamantius

Then I'd have to suggest King Ranch Chicken. It was supposedly a signature
dish of the King Ranch in South Texas, but now it's pretty much standard at
church suppers. I've had it from East Texas to the NW corner of Arkansas.

I'm sure the original recipe is more convoluted, but the way it tends to be
made here it's essentially torn corn tortillas, leftover roast chicken and a
can of Ro-Tel (aigh, no one will know what that is - it's a regional brand
of diced tomatoes canned with green chilis) layered with either cream of
mushroom soup or cheddar soup. Then grated cheddar and more tortilla strips
on top. Gooey and warm and cheesy and filling and golly, it's been a
while.......I may have to break out the Ro-tel this week.

You can get fancy and add diced red bell peppers or add jalapenos and diced
onion for a macho gathering like the Superbowl, but anything past that
counts as getting too uppity and will get you talked about by the ladies in
the kitchen as they wash up. 8-)

Haven't seen it at any SCA event, though it's certainly been present at
various unofficial gatherings.