[Sca-cooks] exotic foods

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 15 11:14:17 PDT 2001

Jennifer Thompson wrote:

> But who would want canned greens?

People do buy them. I can only conclude that for greens such as turnip
greens, mustard greens, collards and kale, the kind of long cooking
frequently applied to them produces a finished product not too distant
from canned ones, if you drop the prejudices and suspend disbelief. I
have eaten them and not actually died, even though they're not as good
as the real thing.

Conversely, I've eaten green string beans cooked slowly for hours with
bacon, and after taking the trouble to prepare and cook them, I find
they're not so different from canned green beans in texture and flavor.
Maybe they are lacking in that special metallic flavor so beloved of
canned beans. What people fail to take into account is that the
long-cooked green beans are probably derived from a similar dish made
from dried (leatherbreeches?) beans, which pretty much _have_ to be
cooked that way.

On the other hand, some greens should not be cooked for nearly so long,
which is why I cannot comprehend the existence of canned spinach.

Adamantius, who has to have smothered pork chops, blackeyed peas and
greens at least once a year...
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com