[Sca-cooks] No talk?????

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 18 00:22:00 PDT 2001

Nichola wrote:

> Well the Harry Potter discussion was more intereesting... at least for
> me and I haven't even read the first books yet... but it was neat to see
> folks actually try and figure out how to make Butter Beer, and the
> Everyflavor? Beans? and the like...
> I did grow up with the Green Stuff...Our name for the green jello
> concoction... but as I have been busy I just didn't want to chime in
> until now...
> Any worse Naw but the Twinkies sounded more fun...
>
> Nichola

Well it's tough to come up with anything new to say about food in the Harry
Potter books since there was no new book this year.  Boo.  About as much
fun as a birthday at the Dursleys'.  Read the books, they are much fun even
if you are an old "kid emeritus".  From all indications, the movie will be
awesome, one of the best book-to-film transformations since "The Princess
Bride."

One of the soft drinks of the Hogwarts crowd seems to be "pumpkin juice."
The actual juice of the orange squash is pretty nasty, so I take that to be
just a fanciful name for something orange-coloured but not
orange-flavored.  I've taken to sipping on Sobe "elixir" which fits those
parameters and tastes awfully good on a hot day.

A subtle food funny in the fourth book:  Harry's friend Ron takes a bite of
Yorkshire Pudding and then speaks with a bit of the North Country accent
for the next line or so.  I'm still waiting for a "spotted dog" pudding
that wags.

Selene, Caid