[Sca-cooks] period beef tongue recipes

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Aug 20 04:34:01 PDT 2001

    Many Art/Sci's ago, I was preparing feast, when one of the Laurels came
back into the kitchen, and asked my opinion of organ meats, I replied that
while Wurlitzers were pretty good, I really like a Hammond on rye, and then
inquired as to why this question. It turned out that someone had entered
pickled tongue in the Foods category, and none of the judges could bring
themselves to try it. He asked if I would come and render my opinion . . .
    I did so, and the Laurels sat there staring at me as I chowed down, told
them how I thought it had been prepared, spices I could identify by taste,
etc, while they all dutifully jotted it down. I said 'hey, this really is
good stuff, you ought to give it a taste', and a couple of them kind of
gulped and turned green. They couldn't even bring themselves to touch it. No
accounting for taste, or lack thereof . . .

    Sieggy