[Sca-cooks] Breakfasts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Aug 20 21:53:02 PDT 2001

Lady Angustias said:
> I was the Kitchen Steward for our Viking Event just a couple of weeks ago and
> we did breakfast on Sunday morning.  Here in Eskalya, Sunday means late
> risers.  We started breakfast at 9:00 and gave the last call at 11:00.

Ahh! Someone with decent breakfast hours!

> We
> made crepes and french toast (The story went that the men had
> kipnapped--er--borrowed a french chief--and he showed us how to make them).

I'm not sure if you are referring to the crepes or the "French" toast
here, but there were medieval dishes rather close to modern "French"
toast. Perhaps these files in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium
might be of interest:
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                       Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-art.html
French-Toast-msg  (21K) 10/12/00    Period French Toast. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/French-Toast-msg.html

If I remember correctly from some previous discussions, the crepes
may be period also. I don't have a specific file on this right now
since I'm still trying to figure out how best to organize and split
pancakes/waffles/wafers/blintzes/crepes etc, however there might be
some into in this file:
pancakes-msg      (18K)  8/28/00    Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pancakes-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net