[Sca-cooks] Home Made Gatorade (OOP)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 22 09:28:52 PDT 2001

> I'm afraid I have to agree with Alban here.  I always thought Gatorade
> was junk - well advertised, nasty crap.  What most of us need is plain
> ol' water.  What the few of us need above and beyond that can be
> provided by orange juice, without the potential for diarhea that
> Gatorade brings.

Some people, by the way, have adverse reactions to undiluted orange juice,
especially in high heat conditions. I'm one of them. I will drink Gatorade
when I feel dehydrated; don't like it, but will do it. OJ tends to come
right back up. There are other drinks than one's personal favorite that
will help with such circumstances. (Apple juice doesn't work for me
either. My mom and I used to fight about it when I was a kid, because both
OJ and Apple juice made me nauseous and miserable but our water was
nasty.)

> What did people do before corporate intervention?  Did humanity suffer
> severely for millennia because nobody had invented Gatorade yet?

Switchel, Oxymel, and other beverages were used, not to mention small
beer. Slightly acidic drinks in particular are popular during field work
because it cuts the gunk in your throat. But when I was a kid, we could
work harder and longer during haying on Coca-Cola than on water or
Kool-aid-- we just peed more.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa