[Sca-cooks] Home Made Gatorade (OOP)

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed Aug 22 09:49:08 PDT 2001

>Switchel, Oxymel, and other beverages were used, not to mention small
>beer. Slightly acidic drinks in particular are popular during field work
>because it cuts the gunk in your throat. But when I was a kid, we could
>work harder and longer during haying on Coca-Cola than on water or
>Kool-aid-- we just peed more.

Of _course_ you worked harder on Coke; there's all that wonderful caffeine
guaranteed to wake kids up and put them into overdrive. And lots of nice
sugar, too. <grin>

Sekunjabin. Don't forget sekunjabin. Diluted mint-flavored vinegar
with a bit of sugar goes down wonderfully well, is acidic enough to be
kind to the stomach, and quenches the thirst better than damn near
anything else I've tried over the years.

Pity I can't drink it any more. <sigh>

Alban