[Sca-cooks] Home Made Gatorade (OOP)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 22 10:00:44 PDT 2001

> Of _course_ you worked harder on Coke; there's all that wonderful caffeine
> guaranteed to wake kids up and put them into overdrive. And lots of nice
> sugar, too. <grin>

Er. No. (um, Alban, try to remember back when Kool-aid had sugar in it
too.) I don't know of any studies that show that caffeine increases
endurance. The biggest trouble is that too much kool-aid makes you feel
bilious; the coca-cola formula is acidic enough that you can drink a
bottle and get the liquid into you, plus cutting the gunk in your throat
from the haying.

> Sekunjabin. Don't forget sekunjabin. Diluted mint-flavored vinegar
> with a bit of sugar goes down wonderfully well, is acidic enough to be
> kind to the stomach, and quenches the thirst better than damn near
> anything else I've tried over the years.

Yes, it does. At one point, my mom and I tried switchel (from the Little
House Cookbook)  and found that it worked about as well for us as Coke.
But I was only ten; the my father, his partner, and the farmhands were
less likely to try a drink with vinegar in it.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa