[Sca-cooks] Rose Pastry

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 22 13:46:43 PDT 2001

Johnnae sends greetings.

It's not too far from the Rose Water pastry recipe
given in To the Queen's taste by Sass. That one
doesn't have as much sugar. It's credited to a recipe
in The Good Huswives Housemaid which means it's a
1588 recipe.

Take a good look at what Karen Hess has to say
regarding both roses and rosewater in
Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery. It's a good
starting point.

You might want to also try Robert May's The
Accomplisht Cook too.

Hope this helps. Johnna Holloway

Marian Rosenberg wrote:

> Greetings the List, (SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>)
>
>   Some of you who were at the potluck may have gotten a taste of the
> Rose Petal Pastry Mike made. ....................
>   Along the way a few people mentioned that they thought it tasted like
> it could conceivably be similar to something Elizabethan or could be
> changed to make it similar to a period recipe.  One person mentioned
> that they had eaten something similar at a "documented Elizabethan
> feast" by a Master Llewellyn.  So, now, I am looking for ways to document
 recipes using rose water > and rose petals.  I've purchased "Rose
Recipes
 from Olden Times" and