[Sca-cooks] period breakfasts

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 23 08:23:06 PDT 2001

There are a number of mentions in Lady Hoby's
manuscript diary that has been transcribed that
she broke her fast in the morning... brake fast
hence breakfast. She also ate dinner then supper.
Breakfast at least in Eliz. England was apt to
be beer and bread with meat or fish if the home
was wealthy. Fish days, there might have been herrings.
Porridge was for servants and lower classes.
Somehow starting any Society's event day of activities
off with beer and bread might be frowned on or it
might turn into a great mellow event. But somehow
having to card at breakfast.....

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway