[Sca-cooks] Help - mundane wedding reception

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Aug 23 09:00:35 PDT 2001

Here are a couple of recipes I used at a feast I did about a year ago.
They are both period...14th century, in fact...from the Cloud Forest
Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating by Ni Tsan, as
translated by Theresa Wang and Eugene Anderson for Petit Propos au
Culinaire, #60:

7. Cooking Wonton

Chop the meat finely.  Add riced bamboo shoots or wild-rice shots,
chives, or Basella rubra tips.  Use Szechuan pepper and a bit of apricot
kernal paste.  Wrap.  The skins should start out thick and small when
cut out.  Then flour them and roll them out.  (When stuffed) put into
fully boiling water.  Stir; do not cover.  When they float up, take them
out, stirring no longer.  Do not use Chinese Cardamom in the filling,
except to warm the ch’i.

1 lb. Ground beef
¼ cup Bamboo shoots, finely chopped
3 tsp. Chives
½ tsp Szechuan pepper
½ cup Apricot kernel paste  (use almond paste instead)
½ tsp salt
Won ton wrappers

1. Mix bamboo shoots, chives, pepper, kernel paste and salt with ground
beef  (almond paste works in more easily if broken into tiny pieces
you
might even try doing the mixing in the food processor.
2. Place a small amount of meat in the center of the wonton wrapper.
Fold wrapper over and seal with egg white (hopefully our wonton makers
will be there for you to use.)
3. Cook in boiling water until they float to the surface.  Drain and
serve hot.

43. Water Dragonlets

Chop finely two portions of lean pork meat to each one portion of fatty
meat.  Add a little spring onion, Chinese pepper, apricot kernel paste
and dry steamed cake powder (i.e., similar to breadcrumbs), and mix.
Moisten hands with vinegar and roll the dough into balls.  Cover the
outside with real starch flour.  Boil in soup.  Take them out when they
float to the surface.  They can be served with clear or piquant stock.

1# Ground Pork
1/8 cup Spring onion, finely chopped
¼  tsp. Szechuan pepper
2 Tbsp. Apricot kernel paste (use almond paste)
1 Tbsp.Breadcrumbs
Starch flour
1 qt. Chicken stock

1. Mix meat, spring onion, ground pepper, almond paste and bread crumbs
(again, I suggest using the food processor
very hard to get paste
blended in!)
2. Make into 1” meatballs
3. Roll meatballs in flour
4. Bring stock to a boil and drop meatballs into broth

Both of these are very good...and, in truth, are precursors for modern
Chinese dim sum.  Hope this helps!

Kiri