[Sca-cooks] Help - mundane wedding reception

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Aug 23 14:50:16 PDT 2001

At 10:45 AM 8/23/01 -0500,Debra Hense said something like:
>My brother just married a wonderful woman from China
>in a civil ceremony.  The family is holding the reception
>next month.  I would like to prepare several authentic
>chinese finger foods for the reception.  I have access
>to some great local korean food stores, and several
>european ones also.
>
>No recipes for crabmeat ragoon needed.  We want to do
>authentic and not american chinese.
>
>Thanks for any and all help.
>
>Kateryn de Develyn

Wow, there are just so many good chinese recipes, that it's hard to just
pick a few.

One of my favorite finger foods is Cha Siu Bao (different in every
dialect), which are buns filled with a roast pork in a sweet dark sauce. I
found a recipe for it that looks fairly reasonable at
http://www.web-holidays.com/lunar/recipes/rtpork.htm

They had a nice sweet filled bun, filled with red bean paste. These are
just so yummy. That recipe is at
http://www.web-holidays.com/lunar/recipes/jeendy.htm

there are jiao-zi (cute little snack dumplings) at:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/ethnic/chinese/potsticker-coll.html
(along with several other potsticker fillings)

There's more steamed dumpling things at
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/ethnic/chinese/steamed-dumplings.html
(it even has a recipe for how to make the red bean paste for the dessert
dumpling)

Well, there's lots more out there, but that should be a good start. And
remember, fried rice is basically leftovers, so make sure there's also some
'bai fan' (white rice, steamed rice) available too.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.