[Sca-cooks] just an introduction

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 09:50:09 PDT 2001

Welcome to here, milord Morvran!  You will be amazed at just how much of your pioneer knowlege carries over into SCA life... and at the things that do NOT.  Oddly enough, some things that would seem obvious were either not discovered yet, either geographically [like New World veggies and such] or by concept.  For example:  all the ingredients of Mayonnaise were known in SCA period, but of course there is no evidence of their having been combined in that way before 1660 or so.

As for the stuff you want to learn, hmmm.  We've got a terrific glass bead lady in Calafia, that is San Diego, California, she teaches it at least once a year.  I teach historic cooking and "leatherwork for dummies" meself, and want to do more work in my favorite food, cheese.  For is it not said:  Blessed are the Cheesemakers?  <did I get that wrong?>

A lot of period sources are available online, as are a lot of other right scholarly and fun studies done by people on this list.  Here are my personal bookmarks from my SCA/Food folder:

Food
   Primary Sources
      http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/vi-vat.htm
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
      http://icg.harvard.edu/~chaucer/special/lifemann/manners/aragon.html      http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Du_Fait_de_Cuisine/du_fait_de_c_contents.html
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/
      http://virgil.org/appendix/moretum.htm      http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm
      http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html      http://www.lewis-kappes.com/LK/Pompeiiana/TheRomanCookery/ChoppedMeats.htm
      http://www.thing.de/projekte/7:9%23/pontormo.html
      http://infotrope.net/sca/texts/english-housewife/
      http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html
   http://home.vicnet.net.au/~focus/tr_ye_mn.htm
   http://www.idos.com/
   http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/links.html
   http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikfood.html
   http://www.godecookery.com/gcooktoc/gcooktoc.htm
   http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/links-ME-cuisine-nobg.html
   http://www.dplanet.ch/users/julien.courtois/orgy/index.html
   http://www.teleport.com/~tguptill/cooking.htm
   http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=medrencook;list
   http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/brikoven.html
   http://members.tripod.com/~AoifeFinn/oven.html
   http://www.advancenet.net/~jscole/maidens.htm
   http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/cook.htm
   http://www.dnaco.net/~arundel/apician.html
   http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm
   http://user.icx.net/~richmond/rsr/ajax/harington.html
   http://members.aol.com/gerekr/food.html
   http://www.florilegium.org/
   http://web.missouri.edu/~hayj/recipes.html
   http://www.sca.org.au/ynys_fawr/recipes.htm
   http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/vasilla/ovens.html
   http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GKContents1.htm
   http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/menu.html
   http://www.dl.ket.org/latin2/mores/food/home.htm
   http://www.mindspring.com/~franiccolo/kites_menu_recipes.html
     http://mkcooks.homestead.com/Articles.html
   http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html
   http://milkmama.tripod.com/kervynge.html
   http://www.geocities.com/thorngrove/cooking.htm
   http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/cook/cook.htm
   http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4756/ironchef.htm
   http://www.arbasicula.org/sp_arabic_influence.html

These should keep you busy for minutes on end!

Selene, Caid
Burbank, California