[Sca-cooks] Re: vinegar and iron

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Aug 24 09:07:33 PDT 2001

'Saddening', in dyer's parlance, means to darken and mute the color. Like
if you add black to another color of paint. The same reaction that makes
black dye and black ink adds black to whatever you're dyeing. Or, to
whatever acidic thing you are cooking in that cast iron and
not-quite-seasoned pot. This is why they tell you to use unreactive
vessels for dyeing and for cooking acidic food. Black applesauce is *so*
unappetizing. ;-)

Well-seasoned cast-iron doesn't react nearly as fast because there is a
layer of polymerized oil in between the acid and the iron. I make chili in
my cast-iron all the time, but it's pretty thoroughly seasoned by now and
if it darkens it's only a little bit.

Margaret FitzWilliam