[Sca-cooks] various small notes (and shoofly pie!)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 26 20:33:27 PDT 2001

Margaret FitzWilliam posted back on August 10 this recipe:
> Title: SHOOFLY PIE
>   Categories: Desserts, Pies
>        Yield: 6 servings
>
>      3/4 c  Dark molasses
>      3/4 c  Boiling water
>      1/2 ts Salt
>    1 1/2 c  All-purpose flour, sifted
>      1/4 c  Butter or margarine
>      1/2 c  Firmly packed brown sugar
>        1 ea Standard pastry 9 in. crust
>
>    Make sure the 9-inch pie crust is unbaked.
>    Mix the first four ingredients. With hands, mix next
>    three ingredients. Pour about 1/3 mollasses mixture
>    into pie pan lined with pastry rolled 1/8 inch thick.
>    Sprinkle with 1/3 of flour mixture.  Continue
>    alternating layers until all ingredients are used,
>    ending with layer of flour.  Bake in preheated
>    moderate oven (375 deg. F.) for 35 minutes.  Serve
>    warm or cold.

This looks delicious, but I'm a bit confused. (alright, more than usual)

The recipe says "Mix the first four ingredients", which I would
interpret as the molasses, boiling water, salt and the flour.

Then it says "With hands, mix next three ingredients", which I
would interpret as the butter, brown sugar and the pie crust?

Somethings missing here it seems. They also mention layering the
mollasses mixture and the flour mixture but from the above directions
the molasses and the flour are in the same mixture.

Is there a missing ingredient in the first group? Or is the first group
supposed to have three ingredients instead of four?

And lastly:
I don't suppose there is a sugar-free version of this pie is there? :-(

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net