[Sca-cooks] suggestions please

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 26 21:26:30 PDT 2001

Begga Elisabeth asked:
> Question 2:  Suggestions to add visual interest to this course
>
> Chicken Dumplings (Sabrina Welserin)
> <<193>>
> Wie man kaponerkrapfen machen soll
>
> Nempt das bret von 2 hennen, wens gesoten jst, hackt es
> fein, nempt ain barmisankes=DF geriben dar=FAnder vnnd gilbts
> vnnd rierts d=FArchainander/ jr solt a=FAch m=FAscatblie vnnd
> pfeffer dareinthon, macht darnach ain taig an/ macht ain
> tinnen blatz vnnd thiet die obgeschribne fille dara=FAff vnnd
> formierts z=FA ainem krapfen vnnd dient die 2 zipffel z=FAsamen/
> siedts jn ainer fleschbrie wie hert gesottne air vnnd gebts
> warm.
>
> Rough translation
> the meat of two chicken -cooked and chopped fine. Add parmesan cheese.
> Season with mace and pepper.  make a dough into thin flat cakes, fill and
> boil in broth

Sounds interesting. Fill with what? Assuming you are making a dough of
the ground chicken and the parmesan cheese. Or are you supposed to make
a flour/water dough and then fill that with the ground chiken/cheese
mixture?

I suspect the latter. If so, would you make a flat wafer similar
to a won ton wrapper, put on a spoon of the filling, put another
sheet over that, seal them together and boil that?

> Taste wise it's great (according to my husband) color wise it leaves much
> to be desired.

Serve them garnished with some parsley or equivalent? Put saffron into
on set of dough and green herbs into another? Sprinkle the top of the
ravioli with more cheese?

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net