[Sca-cooks] suggestions please

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Mon Aug 27 00:25:39 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous schrieb:

> Begga Elisabeth asked:
> > Question 2:  Suggestions to add visual interest to this course
> >
> > Chicken Dumplings (Sabrina Welserin)
> > <<193>>
> > Wie man kaponerkrapfen machen soll
> >
> > Nempt das bret von 2 hennen, wens gesoten jst, hackt es
> > fein, nempt ain barmisankes=DF geriben dar=FAnder vnnd gilbts
> > vnnd rierts d=FArchainander/ jr solt a=FAch m=FAscatblie vnnd
> > pfeffer dareinthon, macht darnach ain taig an/ macht ain
> > tinnen blatz vnnd thiet die obgeschribne fille dara=FAff vnnd
> > formierts z=FA ainem krapfen vnnd dient die 2 zipffel z=FAsamen/
> > siedts jn ainer fleschbrie wie hert gesottne air vnnd gebts
> > warm.
> >
> > Rough translation
> > the meat of two chicken -cooked and chopped fine. Add parmesan cheese.
> > Season with mace and pepper.  make a dough into thin flat cakes, fill and
> > boil in broth
>
> Sounds interesting. Fill with what? Assuming you are making a dough of
> the ground chicken and the parmesan cheese. Or are you supposed to make
> a flour/water dough and then fill that with the ground chiken/cheese
> mixture?
>
> I suspect the latter. If so, would you make a flat wafer similar
> to a won ton wrapper, put on a spoon of the filling, put another
> sheet over that, seal them together and boil that?

Yes, the recipe ios fairly clear on that point (it
literally reads '...and afterwards mix a dough,
make a thin leaf out of it...') period cookbooks
just assume you know how to 'make a dough'.
Traditional Krapfen as I know them would be made
by folding over one dough sheet, though.

> > Taste wise it's great (according to my husband) color wise it leaves much
> > to be desired.
>
> Serve them garnished with some parsley or equivalent? Put saffron into
> on set of dough and green herbs into another? Sprinkle the top of the
> ravioli with more cheese?

Actually (I hate to seem the wiseass on a list
with so many people with far more kitchen
experience than I) that's a translation problem.
The text reads "...nempt ein barmisankes geriben
darunder unnd gilbts unnd rierts durcheinander..."
which should translate as "stir in grated parmesan
cheese and *make it yellow* (gilbts) and stir it
well". So presumably you're supposed to add
saffron to the mixture, though from the recipe I'm
not sure whether I wouldn't use curcuma. THe
saffron taste seems noncritical, and saffron is
awfully expensive.

in service

Giano