[Sca-cooks] cranberry/Grand Marnier pound cake.

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 06:17:53 PDT 2001

In a message dated 8/26/01 5:34:09 PM Central Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Okay, this sounds like it might be good. Can you give a recipe or more
 directions? I've never made pound cake, although I imagine I can find
 recipes for plain pound cake on the web or in cookbooks.

 How many cranberries per pound cake? Are there other fruits that might
 also work well? And I assume Grand Marnier is a type of liqueur? I
 think I might remember seeing this as an option for topping off
 Margaritas. How much per pound cake? Wonder if you could reconstitute
 the cranberries in the Grand Marnier? >>

Okay, for all those with a sweet tooth, here it goes:

Cranberry-Grand Marnier Poundcake (usually a Christmas/Yule/Winter
Solsticething)

1 # butter, the good stuff only please (sweet cream)
3 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs
3/4 cup Flour(cake or pastry works better)
1/2 cup Grand Marnier Liqueur(Triple Sec is okay if on tight budget)
1/2 cup milk
1 -1/2 cup cranberries, can use either fresh or dried, though increase the
flour by 1/2 cup if using fresh or increase the milk/Grand Marnier by 1/8 cup
each (total 1/4 cup) if using dried.
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Almond extract.

Pre-heat oven to 325.
Combine milk and Grand Marnier.
Cream butter and sugar until pale, almost white in color. Add eggs one at a
time, beating thoroughly in between. Alternate flour and milk/Grand Marnier.
Just incorporate ingredients. Add extracts, fold in cranberries.
Pour into a 10" x 5" Bundt pan, bake until top is golden brown, and toothpick
is clean when it comes out, about 1 hour.

I have also used dried cherries along with the cranberries and it comes out
very tasty. Grand Marnier is probably the best liqueur I've tried but a good
Brandy would also be nice. I know someone who pours Jamison's Whiskey over
the top and gets a VERY alcoholic cake. Personal prefenece should preside
though.

As for reconstituting the cranberries in the liqueur. I'd think you'd need a
fairly strong liqueur to survive with a different taste. Grand Marnier is
orangey and that balances the cranberries tartness.  But if you used
Kirschwasser, that could be good, especially if you reconstitute dried
cherries instead of cranberries.

Just a thought.
Finnebhir