[Sca-cooks] various small notes

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Aug 27 17:59:05 PDT 2001

Master A was correct, although I don't think we think of the fry bread
as being particularly "Navajo," but rather, "Native American."
Taterpigs are large baking potatoes that are cored out (with an apple
corer, most like), the center then filled with sausage, and the whole
thing baked....yummmm.
Fried vikings, someone's joked, may be those intrepid individuals who
forgot that you "burn last." ;-P Seriously, though, they're a spiced
meatball, similar in texture to meatloaf, shaped like a sausage.
They're cooked on a stick, after being dipped in a batter, just like one
would a corn dog.  They're most often eaten with catsup and mustard.
Obligatory in-period food content: We also have fried cheese curds,
which
I had this year for the first time.  They really remind me of that
cheese recipe in the _Miscellany_.....
--Maire