[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Iron Chef Results

Phil Anderson phil at dev.spis.co.nz
Mon Aug 27 23:47:17 PDT 2001

Wrynne writes:

> Didn't cooks and chefs in the middle ages have rivalries? I'm sure
> some Abbott got into a bragging match with another over whose cook
> was the best?  I find it hard to believe that cooking competitions
> aren't "period".

I suspect you may be making the mistake of viewing people in
period as 20th century Americans wearing funny clothes. They
aren't -- they came from cultures which are very different to the
ones we live in today. Just because it's obvious _now_ that rival
cooks can have a cooking contest doesn't mean it occurred to
anyone in period.

I'm not by any means claiming that it _didn't_ happen, just that we
can't assume that it did just because we happen to be familiar with
such things in our modern lives.

Edward Long-hair
Southron Gaard