OT Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Introduction

Philip W. Troy & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 28 07:32:07 PDT 2001

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> But then our whole award structure is upside down...we're giving peerage
> titles for AoA's and titles used in period to address merchants or craftsmen
> to peers!  So...his point is?????

I agree on that. I think the point (if there is any) to attaching
peerage to master craftsman and other townee types (and note that I'm
saying, attaching peerage to craftsmen and townees, not the title of,
say, master, to peers) has to do with the head-on collision between
feudalism and town and guild social structure. I gather that the
difference between bachelor knights in period and in the SCA is that
they would have rated a social importance, in a town, of somewhat lower
than a guild master craftsman, which is presumably why, in the SCA, our
craftsmen and administrator types tend to be lumped under the title of
"Master".

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy