OT: Titles was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Introduction

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 10:16:29 PDT 2001

Misha wrote:

> In a message dated 8/28/01 12:05:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> selene at earthlink.net writes:
>
> > You noticed that too, eh?  That's why I tend to use the title "Dame."  Also
> >  remind the snootier knights that they're not "more equal" after all.  A
> > buddy of
> >  mine perused the list of alternate titles and thought I ought to use "
> > depotissa"
> >  which is the Greek analogue for Laurels and Pelicans, but I thought that
> > sounded
> >  too, oh, I don't know, depotistic.  At least I'm usually a benevolent
> despot.
> >

> >  [there ain't nuthin' like a] Dame Selene, Caid
>
> Can people who have titles such as "Lord" or "Ladyship" use other titles in
> different languages i.e. a King who has a Russian persona used the title
> Czar.

As a matter of fact, YES!  They are listed here:
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html

And since you might need them, here are a couple of pages about Russian names
that I thought you might need:

A Dictionary of Period Russian Names
http://sca.org/heraldry/paul/

Locative Bynames in Medieval Russia [that is, if you want to be "Mikhail of
Someplace," this is a list of the places you can be "of" <g> and an article about
how to construct it all properly in Russian.]
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/toprus.html

With love,
The Dame of Names, Selene in Caid