OT: Titles was Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Introduction

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Aug 28 12:57:03 PDT 2001

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Certainly.  You will note that there are a number of alternate titles for Count
> that are frequently used (Jarl, Earl, Graf, etc.), and the same is true for most
> other titles.  You just have to make sure that the alternte is accurate and in
> period.  I have always used "sensei" as an alternative to "Mistress", though I've
> recently been told that a more appropriate title would be "meijin", meaning
> Master of a particular skill in Japanese.

I did notice they have no list for Provencal/Languedoc. If lightning
ever strikes and they wave the wand over my head, I'm thinking of
styling myself 'Midons' which is the title the troubadours used to
address the object of their affection- linguistically it is a feminized
term for a masculine overlord. I'd have to go intot he practice culture
at length to explain, but it is a little like using the term Madam for
'Madam Ambassador' or 'Madam Chairman', etc... sorta.

And Mum was from Aquitaine. I have lands there. ;-)

'Lainie