[Sca-cooks] How to keep picnic foods fresh

Linda M. Kalb lmkalb at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Aug 28 10:48:02 PDT 2001

I use those blue frozen plastic thingies mundanely for food to be eaten
both at lunchtime and later on the train home (mostly for my 2-year-old,
who needs snacks between meals).  8 or 9 hours later the food (items such
as half a cheese sandwich, grapes, nectarines, milk, chocolate milk, water)
is still cool in my lunch cooler and okay to eat.  I also used those blue
plastic freezer thingies to keep breast milk cold in a 12-can size
over-the-shoulder cooler bag when I was pumping during the day at work in a
workplace without a real refrigerator.  They worked for me:  my infant did
not get sick or expire, but be advised that I used two large freezer packs
(so as to surround the bottles on both sides) just to be sure to keep the
precious breastmilk cold.  These also stayed cold the 8-9 hours I needed. I
was inside at room temperature most of the time so I don't know how freezer
packs would hold up in, say, hot car conditions.  If you have air
conditioning you should be okay.  But I do recommend keeping a high
proportion of freezer packs to food.

Inga/Linda