[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, again...

ruadh ruadh at home.com
Tue Aug 28 12:26:07 PDT 2001

I too have an "attitude" about apprenticing in [my] subjects that the
mundane world has already well acknowledged. But that's not worth the rant.
One bit I did notice a lack of  .... ways to get your name/face out there.
TEACH, and A&S competitions.  Start at Barony level to get the hang of the
documentation from you locals [?friends to be?]. Once refined to SCA
expectations, move up to Kingdom university and collegiums.  Hang out at
your local A&S meetings, might be a Peer incognito there.

Enhance your spectrum of endeavours.  I do spinning, dyeing, weaving cloth
as my main focus.  But I also function as a woodwright doing repairs for all
my textile equipment, & some woodcarvings. I cast, paint, & fire porcelain
dolls to display the textiles. From the dyestuffs, I'm expanding my
collection of those also used as medicine [former EMT], spices or food. [
That's info I pick up here].   So when I stop showing my Sheep to Shawl A&S
display, next would be a table [ I make] setting, with [my] turned bowls,
and a candle stick holder [ I dipped, cotton wick also spun]. Chairs, with
Paintings [ paint by dyestuffs] and chip carving Knotworks. And to dress the
table, a fancy runner I dyed, spun, wove. And a Lamb feast on that table
[  more period feast info I get here & connects with my original textile
theme].  I'm thinking about book-binding; as I convert the mundane
documentation to period scripts, and photos of processes to drawings.

Look at your journey to recognition, as an 'your' enrichment to our
collective dream, by broadening the spectrum of endeavours.

My goal ... Lau-Pel in "stuff".  But after 9 SCA years of  ...[ insert rant
here] a simple AoA would be a start.
Ruadh