[Sca-cooks] Apprenticing, again...

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 15:21:25 PDT 2001

On 28 Aug 2001, at 11:49, Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

> I'm a mundane chef by trade.  I did school, then apprenticeship in a
> private club in Montreal, QC, then worked for years in the field.
> I've been out of that field for 6 or so years now.
>
> It kinda grates me a little to think of the fact that if I want any
> kind of "recognition" in the SCA, I'd have to apprentice again.  Also,
> I admit my near total ignorance of how a cooking apprenticeship in the
> SCA involves.

> Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas/comments on what my next step
> could/should be?

Then depends on what kind of "recognition" you are seeking.  It is
certainly possible to gain word-fame as a skilled and
knowledgeable medieval cook without ever becoming an
apprentice.  It is possible to win awards and honors for one's
cooking without becoming an apprentice.  It is also possible (or so
I hear) to become a Laurel without ever having been an apprentice.
Perhaps some of the Laurels and apprentices on this list will share
some of their experiences.

Lastly, one can learn a great deal from others (Laurel or not)
without entering into a formal apprentice/student relationship.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net